Make and Play
Explore Louvre Abu Dhabi art works at home!
Make and Play are short, fun videos for all the family to make art inspired by the collection using simple materials.
Share your designs online.
Tag us @LouvreAbuDhabi
Make a Lantern | Art Activity
Create a Jar Lantern
Make a Lantern Instructions
Title: Make a Lantern
Overview: Create a Jar Lantern
Themes: Jar Painting
Mosque Lamp inscribed with the name of Emir Tankizbugha, Egypt or Syria, 1386, Louvre Museum
Age Range: 6-12 years old
Activity Timing: 45 minutes
Materials: Paint brush, food colouring, PVA glue, permanent marker, an empty glass or plastic container, LED light candle, gold paint (optional)
- What colours and patterns can you see?
- What do you think is written on the lamp?
- Try to spot the little sword at the top of the artwork!
1. Add different food colourings to the PVA glue and mix together
2. Paint the inside of the container using a paintbrush
3. Use a permanent marker to decorate the container with the patterns and letters
4. Place the container over the LED candle
Now you have your own lantern!
Share your designs!
Tag us online @LouvreAbuDhabi #MakeandPlay