Make and Play
Explore Louvre Abu Dhabi art works at home!
Make and Play are short, fun videos for all the family to make art inspired by the collection using simple materials.
Share your designs online.
Tag us @LouvreAbuDhabi
Make a Pendulum Painting | Art Activity
About the Artwork:
At the centre of the artwork there is a copy of the thumbprint of His Highness Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founder of the United Arab Emirates. The fingerprint is symbolic to the ripple effect caused through a single action, in this case how a great Nation was created through the unification of the UAE by His Highness Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
Make an Action Painting Instructions
Title: Make a Pendulum Painting
Overview: Create a continuous line
Artwork Photography Caption: PROPAGATION
Drawing on porcelain tiles
Louvre Abu Dhabi
© Department of Culture and Tourism-Abu Dhabi
Age Range: 6-12 years old
Activity Timing: 45 minutes
Materials: acrylic paint, water, string, empty bottle, cutter and tape, paper
• What shapes do you see?
• What technique did the artist use to create the artwork?
• Look closely, do you see the dark circle in the middle? What do you think it might be?
• This artwork carries the thumbprint of the late His Highness Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan and celebrates his legacy and vision for the United Arab Emirates.
• How do you think the artwork reflects the legacy of Sheikh Zayed?
• What actions will you take to leave your mark on society?
Parental supervision needed.
1- Take an empty water bottle and a paper cutter
2- Carefully cut off the bottom of the bottle
3- Poke two holes either side of the bottle
4- Thread the string through the holes to make a handle
5- Mix white acrylic paint with a small amount of water
6- Poke a hole into the bottle cap
7- Secure the cap with tape
8- Pour the acrylic paint into the empty bottle
9- Place a piece of paper on the floor
10- Hold the handle and make a wide circle
11- Watch the paint create your masterpiece!
Share your designs!
Tag us online @LouvreAbuDhabi #MakeandPlay